Grade 11 University English extends the range of analytic reading, writing, listening, oral communication, and higher level thinking skills that students need for success in the secondary school senior academic program. Students:
- Study and interpret challenging texts from contemporary and historical periods, including novels, poems, media works, essays, and plays;
- Conduct research;
- Write persuasive and literary essays;
- Learn fundamental grammar points to improve their writing in preparation for university;
- Compare their writing to university level writing;
- Analyse media critically (e.g. analyse the relationships among media forms, audiences, and media industry practices). An important focus is on understanding the development of the English language.